One Saturday a month during the summer Simpson UMC, their Center for Servant Ministries and their new church start, Iglesia Piedra Viva, have produce fairs to increase low-income urban dwellers’ access to fresh food. They go to the farmer’s market, buy fresh produce, and then come back to church and bag and distribute it to about 80 families. They also offer activities for children and resources for adults. Good Samaritan is sponsoring the Saturday, July 22nd Produce Fair with $500, 200 grocery bags w/handles, and many volunteers.
- 8:00 -12:00 – 5 strong volunteers with 2 large vehicles to meet our leaders in Simpson’s parking lot to travel to Minneapolis farmer’s market to purchase 2500 lbs of fresh produce. Then we divide and bag the produce.
- 10:00 to 12:30 – 6 strong volunteers to set up 12 tents, 10 tables, 50-70 chairs, signage, etc.
- 10:00 -12:30 – 6 volunteers help with dividing, bagging, and setting up food
- 12:30 to 3:00 – 10 volunteers help with greeting, registration, food distribution, kid’s activities, and dealing with leftover food.
- 2:00 – 3:30 6 volunteers to take down tents, tables, chairs, dispose of recycling and trash etc.
Produce handout is from 1:00 to 2:30.
Spanish speakers are a bonus! Youth are welcome!
Come to Simpson Church, 2740 First Ave S, back parking lot: please park on the street.
Sign up in the narthex at our Mission’s table today. Questions: JoAnn Knutson 952-920-8265