Appalachia Service Project (ASP)
All 9th graders and older are invited to serve with families in Central Appalachia.
For more information, contact Jean Elliott at firstname.lastname@example.org or Mike Hutson at email@example.com
- 2019 will be Good Samaritan’s 41st consecutive year serving at ASP.
- Dates: June 15-23, 2019
- Cost: $400
- Destination: Whitley City in McCreary County, Kentucky. See https://www.asphome.org/
- To register for the trip, complete the ASP 2019 Registration Form and return it with your $50 deposit to the ASP mail slot in the church office area by January 6.
- ASP 2019 theme: Be the Peace (I Samuel 25:6)
- Immunizations – Up-to-date immunization for tetanus is required for all participants.
- Hepatitis A immunization is strongly recommended. Plan ahead because Hepatitis A requires two shots 6 months apart.
Important dates – Your participation in all applicable events is crucial to the success of the trip.
- November 13, 2018: ASP planning committee meeting.
- December 11, 2018: ASP planning committee meeting.
- January 6, 2019: Deadline for submitting your registration form and $50 deposit for the ASP 2019 trip.
- January 8, 2019: ASP planning committee meeting.
- January 20, 2019: Pizza sale information meeting in Fellowship Hall, 11:15am. For all participants.
- January 23, 2019: ASP kick-off event in the Youth Room and Fellowship Hall, 8:00pm. For all participants.
- February 3, 2019: Sell pizzas at church after worship service.
- February 10, 2019: Sell pizzas at church after worship service.
- February 12, 2019: ASP planning committee meeting.
- February 17, 2019: Sell pizzas at church after worship service.
- March 12, 2019: ASP planning committee meeting.
- March 30, 2019: Make pizzas in Fellowship Hall at church, 8:00am-2:00pm. For all participants.
- March 31, 2019: Pizza order pick-up at church.
- April 9, 2019: ASP planning committee meeting.
- April 14, 2019: Culture and Sensitivity meeting at church, 5:30-8:00pm. Dinner included. Balance of ASP trip fees due. For all participants.
- May 9, 2019: Adult participant meeting #1, 6:30-8:00pm. For all adult participants.
- May 14, 2019: ASP planning committee meeting.
- May 18, 2019: Tool Time, 9:00am-Noon. For all participants.
- May 30, 2019: Adult participant meeting #2, 7:00-8:30pm. For all adult participants.
- June 2, 2019: Gas sale.
- June 9, 2019: Gas sale. Commissioning Sunday. Final trip paperwork due. Commissioning of the group during the church worship service.
- June 14, 2019: Departure meeting for all participants. Drop off your gear for the trip at the church.
- June 15, 2019: Depart for ASP – Arrive at the church no later than 4:55am. Load the bus and depart by 5:30am.
- June 23, 2019: Return from ASP and join the church worship service.
- July 9, 2019: ASP planning committee trip review meeting.
- July 18, 2019: Adult participant gathering.
- ASP Packing List – What you should take to ASP and what you should leave at home.
- Volunteer Statement and Registration Form – Please print this form two-sided. Complete the form and turn it in on Commissioning Sunday. Signatures on the first page must be made in the presence of a notary. There will be a notary present on Commissioning Sunday.
- ASP Additional Medical Information Form – Complete this form and turn it in on Commissioning Sunday.
ASP’s Required Reading for All Participants – What must I know before going to ASP?
- Volunteer Expectations, Rules, and Regulations
- The 3 S’s: Sensitivity, Safety, and Stewardship
- Safety Manual for Volunteers
New to ASP or need an inspiring refresher? – Below are some suggestions for familiarizing yourself with the ASP experience.
- Visit the ASP web site.
- Read the “required reading” documents (see above).
- Watch the ASP Training Videos for group leaders. This set of 6 short videos provides a good overview of various aspects of the ASP trip. Additional videos are on the ASP web page for Ambassodors, including more at ASP’s YouTube page.
- Scan the ASP Construction Manual, the how-to guide for the types of projects encountered at ASP. If you’d rather look through a printed copy, contact Jack Washam (firstname.lastname@example.org, 612-237-8482). Watch instructional videos about ASP construction techniques at ASP’s YouTube page.
- Read ASP’s Frequently Asked Questions (bottom of the page).
- For all adult group leaders: Attend the adult participant meetings, held in the spring just before the trip, where you can ask questions and learn about the trip from all the other adults who are going to ASP.
Questions? If you have any questions about ASP 2019, contact Jean Elliott (email@example.com, 952-452-9397).
- ASP 2019 Registration Form
- ASP 2019 Trip Information
- How The Appalachian Service Project Began at Good Samaritan
- A Photo History
- A List of Locations
- BUY an ASP 40th Anniversary T-Shirt