Appalachia Service Project (ASP)
Making Homes Warmer, Safer, Drier, Transforming Lives
2020 will mark Good Samaritan’s 42nd year of participation in ASP. The need in the Appalachia area has not diminished and neither has our commitment to serving the wonderful people in that area. The summer 2020 trip has been cancelled due to the COVID-19 situation. See details below.
Due to the COVID-19 crisis, ASP has been suspended this summer’s volunteer ministry.Here’s the message given by ASP’s Walter Crouch: https://www.youtube.
com/watch?v=0SklgBWjMtUAs we continue to pray for those whose lives have been affected by this terrible virus, we especially pray for all the families in Appalachia.
According to the ASP website, “each year 15,000 volunteers repair 500 homes in 28 rural Appalachian communities.” Projects can include roofing, flooring, shoring up foundations, digging drainage ditches, making rooms or homes wheel-chair accessible, or other projects that help make homes warmer, safer, and drier. In addition to building and improving homes, ASP is also a relational ministry for both the families we serve as well as those serving.
This ministry is about lifting the spirits of Appalachian families and reminding them that God’s love knows no boundaries. In the process of putting your faith in action, God acts in your heart. And when you change the lives of others, they have a way of changing you.
Appalachia Service Project (ASP)
All 9th graders and older are invited to serve with families in Central Appalachia.
For more information, contact Jean Elliott at email@example.com or Mike Hutson at firstname.lastname@example.org
- 2020 will be Good Samaritan’s 42nd consecutive year serving at ASP.
- Dates: June 13-21, 2020
- Cost: $400
- Destination: TBD
- To register for the trip, complete the ASP 2020 Registration Form and return it with your $50 deposit to the ASP mail slot in the church office area by January 12.
- ASP 2020 theme: COMPLETE, but not FINISHED, Philippians 1:6
- Immunizations – Up-to-date immunization for tetanus is required for all participants.
- Hepatitis A immunization is strongly recommended. Plan ahead because Hepatitis A requires two shots 6 months apart.
Important dates – Your participation in all applicable events is crucial to the success of the trip.
- September 10, 2019: ASP planning committee meeting, 6:30-8:00pm.
- September 18, 2019: ASP trip introduction meeting, 8:00-9:00pm. For all participants.
- October 8, 2019: ASP planning committee meeting, 6:30-8:00pm.
- November 12, 2019: ASP planning committee meeting, 6:30-8:00pm.
- November 24, 2019: ASP dinner and pie auction fundraiser, 5;30-7:00pm. For all participants.
- December 10, 2019: ASP planning committee meeting, 6:30-8:00pm.
- January 12, 2020: Deadline for submitting your registration form and $50 deposit for the ASP 2020 trip.
- January 14, 2020: ASP planning committee meeting, 6:30-8:00pm.
- January 15, 2020: ASP kick-off event, 8:00-9:00pm in the Youth Room at church. For all participants.
- February 11, 2020: ASP planning committee meeting, 6:30-8:00pm.
- March 17, 2020: ASP planning committee meeting, 6:30-8:00pm.
Due to the cancellation of the ASP 2020 trip, subsequent events in the list below are also cancelled.
- April 14, 2020: ASP planning committee meeting, 6:30-8:00pm.
- April 26, 2020: Culture & Sensitivity meeting in Fellowship Hall at church, 5:30-8:00 pm. Dinner included. Balance of ASP trip fees due ($350). For all participants.
- May 6, 2020: Adult participant meeting #1, 6:30-8:00pm. For all adult participants.
- May 14, 2020: ASP planning committee meeting, 6:30-8:00pm.
- May 16, 2020: Tool Time, 9:00 am-Noon. For all participants.
- May 28, 2020: Adult participant meeting #2, 6:30-8:00pm. For all adult participants.
- May 31, 2020: Gas sale fundraiser.
- June 7, 2020: Gas sale fundraiser. Commissioning Sunday. Final trip paperwork due. Commissioning of the group during the church worship service. For all participants.
- June 9, 2020: ASP planning committee meeting, 6:30-8:00pm.
- June 12, 2020: Departure meeting, 6:00pm. Drop off your gear for the trip at the church. For all participants.
- June 13, 2020: Depart for ASP – Arrive at the church no later than 4:55am. Load the bus and depart by 5:30am.
- June 21, 2020: Return from ASP – Unload the bus and join the church worship service.
- July 14, 2020: ASP planning committee trip review meeting.
- August 1, 2020: ASP trip reunion?
Watch for upcoming information about dates for other ASP events leading up to the ASP 2020 trip.
- ASP Packing List – What you should take to ASP and what you should leave at home.
- Volunteer Statement and Registration Form – Please print this form two-sided. Complete the form and turn it in on Commissioning Sunday. Signatures on the first page must be made in the presence of a notary. There will be a notary present on Commissioning Sunday.
- ASP Additional Medical Information Form – Complete this form and turn it in on Commissioning Sunday.
ASP’s Required Reading for All Participants – What must I know before going to ASP?
- Volunteer Expectations, Rules, and Regulations
- The 3 S’s: Sensitivity, Safety, and Stewardship
- Safety Manual for Volunteers
New to ASP or need an inspiring refresher? – Below are some suggestions for familiarizing yourself with the ASP experience.
- Visit the ASP web site.
- Read the “required reading” documents (see above).
- Watch the ASP Training Videos for group leaders. This set of 6 short videos provides a good overview of various aspects of the ASP trip. Additional videos are on the ASP web page for Ambassadors, including more at ASP’s YouTube page.
- Scan the ASP Construction Manual, the how-to guide for the types of projects encountered at ASP. If you’d rather look through a printed copy, contact Jack Washam (email@example.com, 612-237-8482).
- Watch instruction videos about ASP construction techniques at ASP’s YouTube page.
- Read ASP’s Frequently Asked Questions (bottom of the page).
- For all adult group leaders: Attend the adult participant meetings, held in the spring just before the trip, where you can ask questions and learn about the trip from all the other adults who are going to ASP.
Questions? If you have any questions about ASP 2020, contact Jean Elliott – firstname.lastname@example.org.
Join Our Reconciling United Methodist Church
Join Good Samaritan in Edina for inclusive and inspiring faith! If you’d like to visit our LGBTQIA-Friendly Methodist church today, contact us to schedule a tour. We look forward to welcoming you into our vibrant and compassion community today!