Appalachia Service Project (ASP)
Making Homes Warmer, Safer, Drier, Transforming Lives
2023 will mark Good Samaritan’s 42nd year of participation in ASP. The need in the Appalachia area has not diminished and neither has our commitment to serving the wonderful people in that area.
According to the ASP website, “each year, more than 15,000 volunteers serve with ASP, providing critical repairs for more than 350 families.” Projects can include roofing, flooring, shoring up foundations, digging drainage ditches, making rooms or homes wheel-chair accessible, or other projects that help make homes warmer, safer, and drier. In addition to building and improving homes, ASP is also a relational ministry for both the families we serve as well as those serving.
This ministry is about lifting the spirits of Appalachian families and reminding them that God’s love knows no boundaries. In the process of putting your faith in action, God acts in your heart. And when you change the lives of others, they have a way of changing you.
All students who have completed the 9th grade or higher are invited to serve with families in Central Appalachia. Students who are not members of or otherwise affiliated with Good Samaritan church are also invited to participate in the ASP trip. Bring a friend.
For more information contact Amy Manolis at AMANOLIS@MAC.COM or Jan Russell at JAN@GOOD.ORG.
- 2023 will be Good Samaritan’s 42nd year serving at ASP.
- For the ASP 2023 trip Good Samaritan is pairing with Lake Harriet UMC to make one combined group. Lake Harriet UMC is located at 4901 Chowen Avenue South in Minneapolis.
- Dates: July 22-30, 2023
- Total cost: $600 per person. Good Samaritan volunteers will pay $500 each. Good Samaritan UMC church will pay the extra $100 for each Good Samaritan volunteer. Scholarships are available to help pay the cost of the trip; contact Jan Russell at JAN@GOOD.ORG for information.
- Destination: Harlan County, Kentucky – https://asphome.org/centers/kyharlan/
- ASP 2023 theme: “Love Strong”, Luke 10:27 “Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind and Love your neighbor as yourself.”
Registering for the trip
- Before registering each participant and parent/guardian of each youth participant must read and understand the ASP Expectations.
- To register for the trip complete the ONLINE REGISTRATION FORM.
- To secure your spot on the trip (or a spot on the waiting list if the trip is full), please submit a $100 deposit on your trip fees. See instruction in the next section.
Paying for the trip
- To secure your spot on the trip (or a spot on the waiting list if the trip is full), please submit a $100 deposit on your trip fees.
- The remaining balance of your trip fees is due shortly before departure for ASP.
- Pay your trip fees ONLINE. You may pay just your $100 deposit initially then pay the balance of the trip fees at a later date. Alternately, you can pay your full trip cost all at once. When you pay online, a processing fee is taken out of the amount paid. Please consider checking the box to add 2.5% to your payment to help cover the cost of the processing fee so that the ASP trip gets the full amount of your trip fees.
- If you would like help with the cost of the trip, please contact Jan Russell at Jan@good.org.
- Your trip fees are refundable if you are replaced on the trip roster by someone on the waiting list or in the event that the entire trip is cancelled.
- Immunizations – Up-to-date immunization for tetanus is required for all participants.
- Hepatitis A immunization is strongly recommended. Plan ahead because Hepatitis A requires two shots 6 months apart.
- Parents of youth participants: If requested, adult ASP leaders will assist with ensuring that your youth takes medications on schedule while on the ASP trip.
Important dates – Your participation in all applicable events is crucial to the success of the trip.
- November 8, 2023: Good Samaritan ASP planning committee meeting.
- November 30, 2022: ASP information night. For all youth, parents, and other adults who are interested in the ASP mission trip.
- December 13, 2023: Good Samaritan ASP planning committee meeting.
- January 10, 2023: Good Samaritan ASP planning committee meeting.
- January 15, 2023: Deadline for completing your registration and paying your $100 deposit for the ASP 2023 trip.
- January 29, 2023: Take orders for Super Bowl subs at church.
- February 5, 2023: Take orders for Super Bowl subs at church.
- February 12, 2023: Super Bowl subs fundraiser. Make subs at Lake Harriet UMC* at 8:30am. Distribute subs that were ordered and sell additional subs at 11:00am after the church service at Good Samaritan UMC.
- March 7, 2023: Good Samaritan ASP planning committee meeting.
- March 21, 2023: Good Samaritan ASP planning committee meeting.
- April 19, 2023: Culture and Sensitivity training at Good Samaritan UMC at 6:30pm. Balance of ASP trip fees due. For all participants.
- April 25, 2023: Good Samaritan ASP planning committee meeting.
- May 3, 2023: Tool Time at Lake Harriet UMC* at 6:30-8:30pm.
- May 6, 2023: Tool Time extra session at Lake Harriet UMC* 8:00am-5:00pm.
- May 7, 2023: Tool Time extra session at Lake Harriet UMC* 1:00-5:00pm.
- May 10, 2023: Tool Time extra session at Lake Harriet UMC* 6:00-8:30pm.
- May 13, 2023: Tool Time extra session at Lake Harriet UMC* 8:00am-5:00pm.
- May 16, 2023: Good Samaritan ASP planning committee meeting.
- June 13, 2023: Good Samaritan ASP planning committee meeting.
- June 25, 2023: Picnic at Lake Harriet UMC* at 6:00pm. Go over packing lists and further details about the trip. For all participants.
- July 9, 2023: Gas sale.
- July 11, 2023: Adult participant meeting 6:30-8:00pm at Good Samaritan UMC. For all adult participants.
- July 16, 2023: Gas sale. Commissioning Sunday. Final trip paperwork due. Commissioning of the ASP group during the church worship service. For all participants.
- July 21, 2023: Departure meeting, 6:00pm. Drop off your gear for the trip at Lake Harriet UMC*. For all participants.
- July 22, 2023: Depart for ASP. Arrive at Lake Harriet UMC* no later than 5:45am. Load the vans and depart by 6:30am.
- July 30, 2023: Return from ASP.
- August 6, 2023: ASP Sunday at Good Samaritan UMC.
- August 8, 2023: Good Samaritan ASP planning committee trip review meeting.
- August 23, 2023: Reunion picnic.
* Lake Harriet UMC is located at 4901 Chowen Avenue South in Minneapolis.
- ASP Packing List– What you should take to ASP and what you should leave at home.
- Volunteer Statement and Registration Form – Please print this form two-sided. Complete the form and turn it in on Commissioning Sunday.
- ASP Additional Medical Information Form – Complete this form and turn it in on Commissioning Sunday.
ASP’s Required Reading for All Volunteers – What must I know before going to ASP?
All ASP volunteers must read the ASP Required Reading for All Volunteers. This document contains important information about:
- ASP Mission, Vision & Guiding Principles
- ASP Rules and Regulations
- ASP 3 S’s
- ASP Safety Manual
- ASP COVID-19 Self Screening Tool
Other informative reading and viewing
- Learn about our ASP 2023 destination in the collection Reading and Viewing Suggestions about Harlan County Kentucky.
- Check out our ASP Reading and Viewing Suggestions to discover additional background material about the area of Appalachia where Good Samaritan serves at ASP.
- Check out ASP’s material for learning more about Appalachian culture at Appalachian Cultural Resources.
New to ASP or need an inspiring refresher? – Below are some suggestions for familiarizing yourself with the ASP experience.
- Visit the ASP web site.
- Read the “required reading” documents (see above).
- Sample the “optional reading and viewing” resources (see above).
- Read about ASP Summer Mission Trips.
- Curious about what happens each day at ASP? Learn about the typical daily schedule at ASP and other topics for volunteers in the information for Group Members.
- Watch some of the many educational and inspirational videos on ASP’S YOUTUBE PAGE.
- Browse through a wealth of information about the ASP experience in the Trip Coordinator Resources.
- Pick up construction tips and learn about ASP home repair projects in the ASP Construction Videos.
- Browse through the ASP CONSTRUCTION MANUAL, the how-to guide for the types of home repair projects encountered at ASP.
- For all adult group leaders: Attend the adult participant meeting, held just before the trip, where you can ask questions and learn about the trip from all the other adults who are going to ASP.
- View the presentation about our ASP PROGRAM AT GOOD SAMARITAN.
Questions? If you have any questions about ASP 2023, contact Amy Manolis at AMANOLIS@MAC.COM or Jan Russell at JAN@GOOD.ORG.
Join Our Reconciling United Methodist Church
Join Good Samaritan in Edina for inclusive and inspiring faith! If you’d like to visit our LGBTQIA-Friendly Methodist church today, contact us to schedule a tour. We look forward to welcoming you into our vibrant and compassion community today!